Deadly Digital Communities
State Library of Queensland has partnered with Telstra to help address the digital inclusion gap for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in Queensland. The Deadly Digital Communities Program initiative is encouraging Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to dream big through digital literacy to create and unlock new opportunities and new possibilities for themselves and their community. The current Program is offering community-based digital literacy and technology training and will engage remote, regional and urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across 31 local government areas in Queensland . The Program is being delivered through Council’s Indigenous Knowledge Centre or public library service.
Indigenous Knowledge Centres participating in this program, or for more information on the program, contact Patricia Busch or Louise Hunter, Indigenous Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 4042 5200
For Public Libraries participating in this program, please contact Inclusive Communities for support and advice at email@example.com or 07 3842 9058
The Digital Literacy wiki contains Web Resources - ICT Training links to various websites, including Telstra and Microsoft, which contains a lot of diverse training topics for a wide range of ages and abilities.
Library Created Materials
- Cloud Storage - Understand and use cloud storage to suit their needs
- Computer Basics - Gain knowledge of basic computer components, learn how to operate a keyboard and mouse, identify, navigate and use features of a Microsoft Windows 10 operating system
- Email Basics - Learn how to create, use and maintain an email account
- Internet Safety - Understand internet safety risks, and be able to access resources and implement strategies to best protect themselves
- Microsoft Excel - Learn how to navigate and use basic features of Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word - Learn how to navigate and use basic features of Microsoft Word
- Searching the Internet - Learn to perform a variety of internet searches to access the desired information on a device of their choice